Thursday, January 15, 2015

Environmental Science - What I Think

The first term is just about up.  The teacher wants me to give some sort of assessment - a review of sorts, and all that was done in this class.  So, that's gonna happen.

First off, I'll say that overall this class was very fun and interesting with what was being talked about.  There were things that were talked about; all these things existed.  They were relevant, given how environmental they were.  I really like it when the things I learn in a class are what I think they will be.  Sometimes in this class the teacher would ask that we bring news articles about environmentalism.  When this happen, a student would read about what they found, and this would inspire fascinating and engaging discussions.

However, there were some faults to this class that were just as evident as that of the things I liked.  For one thing, some of the students were very obnoxious and disruptive, never on task, and took almost no work here seriously.  If there's any advice I can give to the teacher in the future, it's that she should put more discipline on this kind of idiotic behavior, being more and more severe should it persist.  If students are goofing off and spouting out irrelevant nonsense that makes no contribution to the class or what we're learning, it implies that they think the teacher and this class is some sort of joke.  You're the teacher; you automatically deserve they're respect, and you need to show that, and remind them of that in the event that they don't seem to be taking anything seriously.

Also, there was the time during the course that we had to read this book known as Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.  While it makes sense for this to be even brought up in an environmental science class, I feel as though having us read the whole thing was a bit of a drag.  I feel like reading a few excerpts from the book during class and writing some short paragraphs about each would've been more effective, because while this book might have had a strong influence on environmental politics in the 60's, just about everyone in the class agreed on it being repetitive and dull.

So let's recap.  I liked learning all the relevant topics in relation to environmentalism, as well as finding things on our own to share with the class.  My few gripes were that of the teacher never doing anything about the idiocy demonstrated by students who appeared to not be taking her or her lessons serious.  Silent Spring was relevant to this course, but reading it in its entirety was burdensome.

7/10 Would take a class with this teacher again... wait, that's right.  I am!  See you 2nd semester.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your frank and honest reflection. I started off too easy on those kids and then never could get them back. I plan on being much stricter at the outset next term and hopefully that will make a difference. As for "Silent Spring", again I agree. Next year I will assign specific portions of the book to read. Next semester in environmental science you will be assigned Aldo Leopold's "Sand County Almanac"; perhaps I should think about focusing the reading on that book as well.

    ReplyDelete